Sunday, February 20, 2005
ANSWER ME ONE THING
Inspired by a posting accusing all those who hunt of being total snobs:
Answer me one thing. Have you ever been to a real hunt and actually spoken to the people who attend? I never judge anti-hunt peeps as being say scruffy students and the same open-mindedness in return would be nice.
I hunt regularly with the Fitzwilliam, down in Cambridgeshire. This is the reality for us - the mounted followers best outfit is their hunt kit, the rest of us bimble along in our scruffs - I'm usually covered in mud and paw prints before the meet had even got underway. Usual wear for me would be my worst jeans, desert boots/wellies, a shirt and t-shirt with a fleece and barbour over the top...not much different from what I wear on a normal day at home. We are laying bets on whether the master's car will make it to the end of the season!
I'm sorry that our politeness offends you, but we are always courteous to everyone and we see no reason to change a perfectly good system.
I'm a tad concerned that you know which painting is in my bog - I didn't even know I had one, I shall pay better attention next time I go for a piss! It is true that I went to a minor independent school but I hated almost every minute. I relish the freedom now I am away from that place and even more freedom as I drive my muddy, girly little Clio (What no flash Beamer or a shiny freelander!)
It is a solemn principle of mine not to mock anyone. I quite literally struggle to find the beer money for my round. I'm not working at the moment (lambing job doesn't start till next monday) - The CA and the agricultural merchants split my last tenner between them!
I can but apologise that we don't find it acceptable to eat with one's mouth open, spraying gravy as one talks to the unfortunate bod opposite you. And for your information I came close to slapping my granny when she professed some views on refugees that made Nick Griffin look like a socialist.
Whatever the sins of other people in times gone by is that really an excuse to treat those you see as responsible in the same way.
Your prejudice is YOUR downfall
Answer me one thing. Have you ever been to a real hunt and actually spoken to the people who attend? I never judge anti-hunt peeps as being say scruffy students and the same open-mindedness in return would be nice.
I hunt regularly with the Fitzwilliam, down in Cambridgeshire. This is the reality for us - the mounted followers best outfit is their hunt kit, the rest of us bimble along in our scruffs - I'm usually covered in mud and paw prints before the meet had even got underway. Usual wear for me would be my worst jeans, desert boots/wellies, a shirt and t-shirt with a fleece and barbour over the top...not much different from what I wear on a normal day at home. We are laying bets on whether the master's car will make it to the end of the season!
I'm sorry that our politeness offends you, but we are always courteous to everyone and we see no reason to change a perfectly good system.
I'm a tad concerned that you know which painting is in my bog - I didn't even know I had one, I shall pay better attention next time I go for a piss! It is true that I went to a minor independent school but I hated almost every minute. I relish the freedom now I am away from that place and even more freedom as I drive my muddy, girly little Clio (What no flash Beamer or a shiny freelander!)
It is a solemn principle of mine not to mock anyone. I quite literally struggle to find the beer money for my round. I'm not working at the moment (lambing job doesn't start till next monday) - The CA and the agricultural merchants split my last tenner between them!
I can but apologise that we don't find it acceptable to eat with one's mouth open, spraying gravy as one talks to the unfortunate bod opposite you. And for your information I came close to slapping my granny when she professed some views on refugees that made Nick Griffin look like a socialist.
Whatever the sins of other people in times gone by is that really an excuse to treat those you see as responsible in the same way.
Your prejudice is YOUR downfall
