Sunday, November 07, 2004
OTIS FERRY - TIMES ONLINE 2002
The truth is simply that there are a great number of people whose livelihoods are being attacked and who, as a result, are becoming increasingly desperate. They see a government that does not represent them, seems intent on destroying them and is simply not listening to them.
It is sad and dangerous that while we wage war on terrorism — with discussions every day about the “root causes of terrorism” — respectable, peaceful people are being victimised, marginalised and ignored. A great number of people, especially the young, are left to wonder what exactly they must do to get their voices heard....
I understand that we live in an era of urban majority, but since I am not a part of it I don’t feel qualified to lecture people who live in cities on how they should conduct their lives. And I think that when people start throwing around words such as “cruelty” to describe a person’s life, they are obligated to define exactly what they think cruelty means.
It is sad and dangerous that while we wage war on terrorism — with discussions every day about the “root causes of terrorism” — respectable, peaceful people are being victimised, marginalised and ignored. A great number of people, especially the young, are left to wonder what exactly they must do to get their voices heard....
I understand that we live in an era of urban majority, but since I am not a part of it I don’t feel qualified to lecture people who live in cities on how they should conduct their lives. And I think that when people start throwing around words such as “cruelty” to describe a person’s life, they are obligated to define exactly what they think cruelty means.
