Thursday, July 15, 2004
MINORITY RULES
Subject Hunting People
Posted by olive
Posted on Wed Jul 14 09:22:33 2004
From IP 195.92.67.78
I had no problems with hunting up until about 5 years ago. On 5 occasions the local hunt trespassed across my land, upset my horse so badly by riding through her paddock that she was unrideable for 3 months, ignored my pleas to let me know when they were in the area, left local gates open, took gates off hinges in a neighbours field after they were asked not to use the land, rode passed a friend's young horse they had frightened and who had subsequently got itself tangled in wire in a state of panic.... the list goes on, I know of a great many people, in different areas of the country, who used to support hunting but now want it banned, not for the killing of foxes but to outlaw the ghastly people who pretend to know the countryside and ride roughshod over all and sundry in order to have their sport.
My response:
There was silly old Claire thinking you shouldn't condemn the majority for the actions of a minority. Obviously I have been labouring under a misapprehension.
I can't speak for all hunts but I know our local hunt works damn hard to keep landowners informed of where they are going to be and when. They use personal visits, e-mail, telephone calls and are trying to set up an automatic e-mail reminder system.
You cannot, I repeat cannot condemn every single member of an activity because a few have managed to behave in a less than ideal way.
It angered me to see football supporters (and yes they were genuine football supporters) going on the rampage through my adopted city in Birmingham - they threw bottles to vent their frustration and the riot police had to be sent in. Do you see me ranting on about banning soccer - NO!!!!!
If we start condemining activities like that where will we stop - oh I know some smokers blew their smoke in my direction and made me cough lets ban smoking, some ramblers dropped litter let us ban everyone from rambling, hell someone sent me a computer virus why don't we just ban the internet.
Insane isn't it.
I'm very sorry that you have had problems with this hunt but maybe instead of automatically thinking ban, ban, ban you should instead seek a meeting with the master and talk about your problem just in case there has been a good old communication breakdown or if the hunt is at fault they will know that there is a problem and you can try and find a mature solution that you can all live with.
It just shows the insanity behind people agitating for a ban....
Posted by olive
Posted on Wed Jul 14 09:22:33 2004
From IP 195.92.67.78
I had no problems with hunting up until about 5 years ago. On 5 occasions the local hunt trespassed across my land, upset my horse so badly by riding through her paddock that she was unrideable for 3 months, ignored my pleas to let me know when they were in the area, left local gates open, took gates off hinges in a neighbours field after they were asked not to use the land, rode passed a friend's young horse they had frightened and who had subsequently got itself tangled in wire in a state of panic.... the list goes on, I know of a great many people, in different areas of the country, who used to support hunting but now want it banned, not for the killing of foxes but to outlaw the ghastly people who pretend to know the countryside and ride roughshod over all and sundry in order to have their sport.
My response:
There was silly old Claire thinking you shouldn't condemn the majority for the actions of a minority. Obviously I have been labouring under a misapprehension.
I can't speak for all hunts but I know our local hunt works damn hard to keep landowners informed of where they are going to be and when. They use personal visits, e-mail, telephone calls and are trying to set up an automatic e-mail reminder system.
You cannot, I repeat cannot condemn every single member of an activity because a few have managed to behave in a less than ideal way.
It angered me to see football supporters (and yes they were genuine football supporters) going on the rampage through my adopted city in Birmingham - they threw bottles to vent their frustration and the riot police had to be sent in. Do you see me ranting on about banning soccer - NO!!!!!
If we start condemining activities like that where will we stop - oh I know some smokers blew their smoke in my direction and made me cough lets ban smoking, some ramblers dropped litter let us ban everyone from rambling, hell someone sent me a computer virus why don't we just ban the internet.
Insane isn't it.
I'm very sorry that you have had problems with this hunt but maybe instead of automatically thinking ban, ban, ban you should instead seek a meeting with the master and talk about your problem just in case there has been a good old communication breakdown or if the hunt is at fault they will know that there is a problem and you can try and find a mature solution that you can all live with.
It just shows the insanity behind people agitating for a ban....
