Sunday, June 20, 2004
NEWS FROM EAST OF ENGLAND
I was drafted in to guard hounds while huntsman went off to lunch - my job to tell people all about them and sticker their children with '59% say keep hunting'. I got yelled at by antis who said I was exploiting children - in that case why the f*** did they bring them to the east of england COUNTRY show *rolls eyes*. It was a country show designed to bring the country lifestyle a tad closer to those who had never come within hailing distance of activities like hunting, fishing, riding and working dogs. Therefore you expect that there will be rural people there quite anxious to save their way of life from destruction.
We aren't forcing them to take part in hunting - but as George says we just want the liberty to take part in an activity that offers both utility and enjoyment.
The hounds seemed to get an excellent reception - lots of kids anxious to know more and join the staff in their 'kennels'
It also depresses me at the number of people who ask us if there is anything they can do and how much they support our cause - we ask them to join us and suddenly when it comes to coughing up the cash to support us financially as well as morally then they lose all keeness.
It was also sad to see how few people had been able to volunteer even a few hours both from the Fitzwilliam to help George out - the usual suspects were there either with him in country sports ot involved in his Pony Club display. There were even fewer from the wider Eastern region. I guess there is now a vicous circle - people don't want to volunteer, but then they hear that it is hard work - because there are so few people who volunteer...
I suppose if a ban goes through then Ad & I know we did all we could to try and prevent it by volunteering our time as much as possible...
We aren't forcing them to take part in hunting - but as George says we just want the liberty to take part in an activity that offers both utility and enjoyment.
The hounds seemed to get an excellent reception - lots of kids anxious to know more and join the staff in their 'kennels'
It also depresses me at the number of people who ask us if there is anything they can do and how much they support our cause - we ask them to join us and suddenly when it comes to coughing up the cash to support us financially as well as morally then they lose all keeness.
It was also sad to see how few people had been able to volunteer even a few hours both from the Fitzwilliam to help George out - the usual suspects were there either with him in country sports ot involved in his Pony Club display. There were even fewer from the wider Eastern region. I guess there is now a vicous circle - people don't want to volunteer, but then they hear that it is hard work - because there are so few people who volunteer...
I suppose if a ban goes through then Ad & I know we did all we could to try and prevent it by volunteering our time as much as possible...
