Friday, May 14, 2004
RURAL EDUCATION??
Speaking during the official launch, Andrew Mercer, chief executive of the East of England Agricultural Society, said: "We are trying to put more entertainment into the show this year, because people do not come along to be educated, they come along to have fun."
Is that quite a depressing thought that instead of taking the opportunity to educate all those people and school kids that go they are just going to cater for the lowest common denominator and go for the 'entertainment' I am using inverted commas as I fear that using the words Monty Don, entertainment and celebrity in the same sentence would be a gross misrepresentation!!
You might have heard of him, he does Gardeners World and one of those endless travel programmes, I can see it will be a real crowd puller, for ****s sake i believe GB is more famous than him, and has more charisma but I digress into another rant..
Is that quite a depressing thought that instead of taking the opportunity to educate all those people and school kids that go they are just going to cater for the lowest common denominator and go for the 'entertainment' I am using inverted commas as I fear that using the words Monty Don, entertainment and celebrity in the same sentence would be a gross misrepresentation!!
You might have heard of him, he does Gardeners World and one of those endless travel programmes, I can see it will be a real crowd puller, for ****s sake i believe GB is more famous than him, and has more charisma but I digress into another rant..
