Saturday, May 29, 2004
FROM PPC - CONSERVATIVE PETERBOROUGH
Dear Ms Wright
Thank you for taking the trouble of e-mailing me, concerning my attitude to the issue of hunting with dogs.
I do not know whether you are in favour or against a ban - which is fine, as I think politicians should try to be straight and honest when asked a direct question and I try not to just tailor my views to what people want to hear, irrespective of my true opinions!
I am against a ban on hunting with dogs. Although I have no desire to hunt myself, I do not believe in using Parliamentary time to criminalise a large segment of our rural population - and damage parts of the rural economy too.
I believe that the mooted legislation - proposed by Tony Blair - is a cynical PR exercise to buy off restive Labour backbenchers. This Labour government has had seven years to deal with the issue - and has lacked the courage of its conviction and political will.
The proposals envisaged are also totally illiberal, draconian and irrelevant to how most British people live their lives. Quite rightly, most voters think that the Government should concentrate on more pressing issues - like pensions, schools and the NHS - and not pander to class hatred and envy.
I do hope that clarifies the issue to your satisfaction; but do please contact me again if I can help in any other way.
yours
Stewart Jackson
Peterborough's Conservative Parliamentary Candidate
Thank you for taking the trouble of e-mailing me, concerning my attitude to the issue of hunting with dogs.
I do not know whether you are in favour or against a ban - which is fine, as I think politicians should try to be straight and honest when asked a direct question and I try not to just tailor my views to what people want to hear, irrespective of my true opinions!
I am against a ban on hunting with dogs. Although I have no desire to hunt myself, I do not believe in using Parliamentary time to criminalise a large segment of our rural population - and damage parts of the rural economy too.
I believe that the mooted legislation - proposed by Tony Blair - is a cynical PR exercise to buy off restive Labour backbenchers. This Labour government has had seven years to deal with the issue - and has lacked the courage of its conviction and political will.
The proposals envisaged are also totally illiberal, draconian and irrelevant to how most British people live their lives. Quite rightly, most voters think that the Government should concentrate on more pressing issues - like pensions, schools and the NHS - and not pander to class hatred and envy.
I do hope that clarifies the issue to your satisfaction; but do please contact me again if I can help in any other way.
yours
Stewart Jackson
Peterborough's Conservative Parliamentary Candidate
